About 15 thousand years BC, the iceberg disappears from the contemporary region of the municipality. First traces of man in this area can be tracked back to the middle Stone Age. The Baltic tribe of Jaćwingowie develops around the beginning of our age. The Stare Juchy municipality is situated in the Ełk Lake District, among forests, lakes, hills and valleys constituting lovely landscapes. The municipality is mainly focused on farming and tourism. The headquarters of local authorities is the Stare Juchy village, with a truly urban character thanks to its architecture centred around the main square. It is one of the oldest communities in Mazury, with first documents coming from AD 1461. The area of the municipality is a tourist’s dreamland with many places suitable for active tourism around the calendar. Fans of water sports, hiking, biking and winter sports alike should consider it an interesting region. Stare Juchy belongs to the oldest places in the eastern part of Mazury. The historical date of the settlement’s creation is taken from the records confirming the renewal of bestowing the estate situated near the Jędzelewskie lake in 1461, although it is possible that the settlement was created much earlier, most probably around 1450. In 1487, a parish is founded in Stare Juchy. Some disasters followed. Between 1709 and 1711, after the black death plague, only a few people remained alive in the settlement. On the 8th of December 1868, Stare Juchy became a station on the railway from Kętrzyn to Ełk – this helped the village develop even more. The First World War brought about much damage; Stare Juchy was in the front line during the initial phase of the Great War. But the Second World War caused almost no damages to the village. One of the monuments in the village centre is the brick church coming from 1586. Inside, there is a renaissance altar from 1951, a pulpit with renaissance paintings from 1574, a late gothic group of “Crucifixion” from the second half of the 16th century, a late baroque organ prospectus from 1730 and a barque tower bell from 1647. Opposite to the church, we can find another architectural monument – the old folk school building from the 18th century – now used as a residential house. Next to the “Młyńska Struga” (“mill creek”) channel are the remains of a 19th century park, opened by the then rector of Kielno. All the tree species present in the area were gathered there, with only a few specimens surviving to this day. An old farming estate houses a distillery from the 19th century, while near the cemetery next to the road to Wydminy is a Mazurian cottage from the first half of the 19th century (most likely from 1809). The modern structure is a redevelopment, with the original cottage in the nearby village of Kałtki. About half a kilometre from the church, to the left of the railway leading to Ełk, a glacial erratic can be found. Legend has it, that it used to be a sacrificial altar, on which the Jaćwingowie tribe offered sacrifies for their gods: Perkunas, Petrimpus and Pokius. The blood flowing down the altar – also called “jucha” in old Polish – the village took its name, initially known as “Jucha”. The erratic is one of the biggest in the whole of Mazury. It was marked as a natural monument in pre-war times. To the left of the road to Kałtki, about a kilometre away from the centre of Juchy, a massive hill called “Góra Zamkowa” (“castle hill”) can be found – according to legends, an old settlement – a watchtower of the Jaćwingowie people, perhaps also used by Teutonic Knights. Similar historical objects can be found in three other places in the municipal area: north of the Garłówka village, in Rogale and beyond the village of Ostrów.10 cemeteries of historical or monumental value have been located in the area of the municipality. At the moment, the two active ones can be found in Stare Juchy and Grabnik.The Zelki village has a church which is an example of rural architecture of the years 1565 – 1566, with pipe organs coming from the 19th century.Thanks to an agreement between the steam engine conservatory and the Municipal Office in Stare Juchy, an old steam engine of the 0149-29 type is on display in the village, serving as a monument on the Stare Juchy train station.